Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A Brief Stay in Hell's Kitchen


Live from New York, I'm in Hell's Kitchen! Actually, I came to this fabulous city to attend BEA, BookExpo America. It's a world-class, breath-taking trade show being held this week at the Javits Center just off the Hudson River, an enormous convention facility that hosts all kinds of exhibitions.
It's been a thrilling adventure for me, someone who rarely gets out of my office or my peaceful suburban area. The last time I visited here was six months after the World Trade Center disaster. This time, the mood is far more upbeat and NYC has rebounded, stronger and more vibrant than ever.

I got to do a signing yesterday at the Amazon Publishing booth, offering a special BEA edition of Home By Morning that contained the first three chapters of Home By Nightfall at the back. After more than an hour of non-stop autographing, I finally got to watch the industry guests wander by, loaded down with all the books they'd collected from the hundreds of publishers represented. I'd have stayed longer, but at 5:00, the show was over for the day and we all poured out onto 11th Avenue, trying to get cabs. As I understand it, on the final day of the event the doors will be opened to the public with purchased tickets. I don't know how much those might cost but I'm glad I got to see this amazing spectacle.


It's been a wonderful experience in a great town!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment